Felt on Gas Tank?

To: amace@unix2.nysed.gov
Subject: Felt on Gas Tank?
From: Richard Ceraldi-ERC004 <Richard_Ceraldi-ERC004@email.mot.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 1997 14:33:22 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Comments: ( Received on motgate.mot.com from client pobox.mot.com, sender Richard_Ceraldi-ERC004@email.mot.com )
Andy,
    As the "expert" on Spitfires I have a real challenge for those
braincells way in the back.  On the GT6 there are pieces of felt in
strategic location on and under the gas tank.  Now that I have this Spitfire
that everybody and their dog has worked on over the years there is no
evidence remaining of felt being used anywhere on the tank to prevent it
from rubbing.
    Are you aware of any felt being use on these or were they held suspended
from the bolts so it was not an issue as in the GT's mounting? I have seen a
few diagrams showing some unidentified rectangular shapes on the side facing
the trunk on either side of the sending unit. I am assuming they are thin
felt pads.
   Any insight into this will be appreciated. I should have an additional
webpage up soon for this Spitfire MKIV project.
Thanks,
Richard Ceraldi
71 GT6 MKIII KF166L
Austin, TX