Re: Felt on Gas Tank?

To: Richard Ceraldi-ERC004 <Richard_Ceraldi-ERC004@email.mot.com>
Subject: Re: Felt on Gas Tank?
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 1997 16:08:03 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Thu, 18 Sep 1997, Richard Ceraldi-ERC004 wrote:

> Andy,
>     As the "expert" on Spitfires I have a real challenge for those
> braincells way in the back.  On the GT6 there are pieces of felt in
> strategic location on and under the gas tank.  Now that I have this Spitfire
> that everybody and their dog has worked on over the years there is no
> evidence remaining of felt being used anywhere on the tank to prevent it
> from rubbing.
>     Are you aware of any felt being use on these or were they held suspended
> from the bolts so it was not an issue as in the GT's mounting? I have seen a
> few diagrams showing some unidentified rectangular shapes on the side facing
> the trunk on either side of the sending unit. I am assuming they are thin
> felt pads.

Don't know about those braincells you refer to; thank goodness, though,
for the loft in the barn where all my parts live!

Anyway, there was a pad used apparently from the Mk.3 on. It is
approximately 20" long and about 3" high, more or less centered on the
raised stamping on the front of the tank. I assume it serves to support
and insulate the interior panel from the gas tank.

On my 1969 Mk. 3, this pad actually is made of black felt. On later Mk.3
and on tanks that I have, it appears to be a black or very dark grey,
dense foam (denser than upholstery foam but not hard like Styrofoam[tm].

I'll further speculate that it wouldn't have been on the pre-Mk.3 cars,
as they had the removable rear panel for top (hood) stowage.

Hope that covers it, and I look forward to seeing this car soon, if only
on your Web page.

--Andy