Delurking and a Spit rear spring question

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Delurking and a Spit rear spring question
From: stuart l friedman <friedman@leland.Stanford.EDU>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 09:38:40 -0700
Greetings!  I've been lurking on the list for a while as I recently bought
a 1970 Spitfire MkIII from fellow list reader Tom Monson.  You might recall
the thread about the SMOG folks thinking this car had the wrong carb.  So
far I've had great fun tooling about with the top down.  From what I've
read on the list, it seems that I have perhaps slightly less than average
number of bizarre electrical 'features.'  (turn on hi-beams, lose the
instrument lights--hmmm.  that'll have to wait for a nice rainy week this
winter.)

The only pressing repair is replacing the rear spring (and a bearing in the
differential while I have things apart--hopefully that will get rid of some
rear end noise the PO has chased for a while).  The PO suggested I upgrade
to the swing spring from later models.  Is there someone out there who has
done this who might share some experience before I begin wrenching?  A
recent post seemed to indicate that this was a simple bolt on modification,
whereas the little green competition preparation booklet provided by the PO
describes some modifications to the spring.

Also, are there any San Francisco bay area readers with any suggestions for
local parts suppliers or maybe recyclers with some spits?

Thanks,

Stuart

******** note new area code ********
Stuart L Friedman                       email:  friedman@leland.stanford.edu
Center for Materials Research             lab:  650.723.3209
McCullough 250                         office:  650.723.4768 (room 226)
Stanford University                       fax:  650.725.5457
Stanford, CA  94305-4045