TR3 body removal

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR3 body removal
From: JAMES_S_WALLACE@HP-Canada-om1.om.hp.com
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 97 15:20:17 -0400
Item Subject: cc:Mail Text
     I have worked for some months taking parts off the TR3, and soon will
     be ready to lift off the body. I'm looking for input on the best path
     to follow, as I can imagine some different possibilities. So assuming
     I have removed all that is required:

     1. How to brace the door openings? I would like to do it with wood;
     has anyone come up with a clever scheme for attaching it? I don't want
     to weld pieces in as I don't have a welder and don't want to have to
     grind off the subsequent welds.

     2. What portion of body work should be done
     a) Before the body comes off
     b) When it's off
     c) Once it's back on
     d) Sould I take off the fenders now or later?
     It needs rockers and some floor repairs; after that just small stuff
     and a paint job (which I won't do myself). I'm wondering if a
     satisfactory paint job can be done with it back on the frame, or if I
     should paint it and then very carefully lower it back on.

     3. Once it's off, should I make a dummy frame out of 4 x 4's (not
     SUVs!) to park the body on, and work on it like that, or just leave it
     hanging from the rafters till I'm ready to lower it and work on the
     body with it back on the real frame?

     3. How far apart should I take the rest of it once the body is off? I
     do intend to clean up the frame and use something like POR-15, but is
     it worth it to take it right down till I'm looking at a bare frame on
     the garage floor? I realize it will be a good time to attend to engine
     work etc. but would there be much benefit in taking off all the
     steering linkage, for example?

     4. Can the body come off in one piece without removing the rad (and
     therefore the apron)?

     I will not be showing this car; I want to drive it, I want it to last
     as long as possible, and I don't have buckets of American dollars to
     toss at it until it's fixed. The car has almost 50K miles and has been
     parked since 1970.

     Any and all suggestions appreciated.

     TIA,
     Jim Wallace