Re: radar detectors in VA - was: Flashing headlights is illegal??

To: vafred@erols.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: radar detectors in VA - was: Flashing headlights is illegal??
From: McGaheyRx@aol.com
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 15:43:39 -0400 (EDT)

<< es, e.g. Connecticut and Virginia are two other places where radar
detectors
 > are against the law.   And they will ticket you.
 > Cheers.

 In Va. they also conficate the detector on the spot.

In Virginia they DO NOT confiscate the radar detector - if this happened
to you or someone you know, it was an illegal act and if you pursue the
matter you can get the perpetrator in big trouble.
Yes, they will ticket you, but the citation is not  a moving violation and
will not count as "points" against your license - in any state - (if you're
cited for speeding at the same time - that's another matter)
Virginia law allows for this citation if the radar detector is anywhere in
the car "accessible to the driver", i.e. jerking the dectector off  the
dashboard
after the trooper has seen it doesn't help much.

How do I know all this ?
Well ...let's just say I wasn't speeding when I passed the VA State Trooper
and I just forgot to hide the detector...  the ticket was $45.00

Jack Mc