Re: Cam Info. (TR6)

To: "'jhdavis6@juno.com'" <jhdavis6@juno.com>
Subject: Re: Cam Info. (TR6)
From: Tom Leake <tomleake@enol.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 10:41:02 -0600
Cc: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
>>Did you purchase the cam from BPNW? The reground cam I received from them
>>had the overall lift about the same as my stock cam, but the ramp was
>>much steeper(meaning the valves would open later but quicker) and my
>>machinist told me I would be better off with the slightly worn cam that
>>came out of the car.

I don't know that I would have rejected it out of hand for this reason.  A cam
that ramps slightly faster on open and close is an excellent way to improve top
end performance without sacrificing low end performance, and driveability.  If
I was to be in the market for a cam right now I would want one with marginally
higher lift and faster ramping rates than the stock cam, but with stock or near
stock overlap. Most stock engines can support this both in strength and  they
can use the extra breathing.  This of course can be different for every family
of engine as they all come with cams utilizing different percentages of the
engines potential.

One of the cam manufacturers with a good reputation for 'Mericun V-8's has
built their reputation on this philosphy (Hughes Cams).  They call their cams
Max Velocity.

The other thing to consider as I mentioned in my previous post is that cams are
very technical.  When I do a rebuild the two parts I will not buy from just
anyone are the cam and the Oil pump.  The oil pump is the insurance policy, and
the cam is the engines heart.

Tom Leake
CTC50609L
CTC50250L
(one of these is a parts car, not sure which yet)