zs carb leaking solved!

To: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: zs carb leaking solved!
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 11:08:19 -0600
Cc: "'cb1500@erols.com'" <cb1500@erols.com>, "'rgk@flash.net'" <rgk@flash.net>
Thanks to suggestions from a couple of listers, I have solved the riddle
of the leaking carbs on my TR6. I applied two solutions to this problem.

1. After a recent rebuild, I apparently set the float levels too high.
This caused seepage through the float bowl/carb body seal via the
gasket. Thanks to Charlie B. for recommending I check if fuel is
overflowing the carb jet when the piston is removed. This test proved
that the probelm was not only a faulty o-ring on the float bowl plug.
The rear carb was definitely set higher than the front one, and the
greater fuel flow from it was explained by the greater fule content on
the jet with the piston out.

2. I also suspected faulty o-rings on the float bowl plugs (especially
the rear carb). Bob Kramer made a reference to plug-less float bowls on
ZS carbs from MGBs. Although not listed in Moss's MBG catalog, I did
manage to obtain two of the elusive plug-less bowls from a local source
for $10 each (Canadian). No idea what car they came off of. However,
they do take six equal length bolts which are shorter than even the
short bolts from my stock bowls. Had to get new gaskets from a Volvo
dealer cause the brit stores were closed - $9 each (ouch!!!).

So now my carbs no longer leak. Thanks as usual to the list.

Unfortunately, I have another carb problem. I will describe that in a
subsequent message so as to keep this one strictly positive ;-).

Peter Zaborski
76 TR6 (CF58310 UO)
Calgary AB Canada