car show last weekend

To: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: car show last weekend
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 12:28:29 -0600
I attended a "European Car Show" at Prince's Island Park in Calgary this
weekend. Around 100 cars some very interesting. Of all the european
countries, British cars were by far the most numerous.

Highlights:

1. A couple of AC Cobras (kit cars sorta - the owners builk them
themselves). One was a 427 - nice!

2. About 12 Jag E-types. Man thes are nice!

3. 7 or 8 TR6s. Including one from St. Albert (town north of Edmonton
Alberta) which was a 1969 PI ordered from England by the guy who still
owns it today. It was red with an immaculate interior. Not concours bu a
daily driver. The guy said he does all maintenance himself and has since
the day he go it. It had overdrive and hard top. Curious but the tires
were 165R15 and he said those were stock. I think the PI cars had
smaller tires. Apparenlty in 1969 you could order a PI TR6 into North
America legally!

4. Several Spits, I don't know much about these so I can't really
comment.

5. One TR250, this was the oldest TR. It was nice, BRG and black int. A
show winner from other shows as evidenced by his trophies.

6. Three morgans. Kinda cool cars.

7. A wack of MGs. All kinds, A, B & TF.

8. One TR512 (that's a Ferrari for the curious). Sweet!. Owner was kind
of a joker though, working his cell phone (portable not in-car) the
whole time.

9. Couple of Maseratis, can't remember model but they were gorgeous
(60's cars).

10. Finally, there were a few porsches (911 and boxsters) and some BWW's
(all recent). I found these to be rather dull and uninteresting in the
context of all this vintage cars around them (Although I love 911's). No
vintage German cars, although returning from a parts run on Friday (on
my bicycle) I came to a red light beside a Gullwing MB 300SL - I ahve
never seen one of these live before. Man are they nice!!! This one was
silver with black int.

And now for the closer... There were also about 10 Miatas. No s**t!
Including some really tricked out ones with turbos. I asked an organizer
what they  were doing there and he smiled and said "Well I have one and
decided we would allow them to come. They are the best british cars
never made" He was also the one who borrowed a Boxster from the local
Porsche dealer for the show. And he had a few other cars there as well,
can't remember what types.

Oh yeah, the weather was gorgeous. 24C and not a cloud in the sky.

Peter Zaborski
76 TR6 (CF58310 UO)
Calgary AB Canada