TR4 swallows Miata in a cloud of smoke!!!!!

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR4 swallows Miata in a cloud of smoke!!!!!
From: Christian Simonsen <shammy@inmind.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 20:19:21 -0400
Well, I tried to deny it, but that smell of burning coolant was indeed
burning coolant!

I went to lunch on Friday with, of all things a 21 year old beautiful girl
(really, really beautiful, I think she likes the car!!!) from the university
of Florida, top down, cool air, beautiful day, to this little New Orleans
restaurant. On the way back to work, We decided to take the senic route.....

Well, somewhere in that side trip, my head gasket decided to give up the
ghost. I had just passed one of those red Miata's, just cause I had to, out
of respect for the list you know.........

That next stop sign, found my refrigerator white TR4 just inches ahead of
the Miata I had just passed. Well, when the light turned, the Triumph
stumbled and I rev'd her a bit to get things going, just then I looked in my
mirror and saw a cloud of white completely envelope the Miata, thank
goodness he had his top up!!!!! Out of embarrassment, we laughed and took
off until the rev's got up enough to eliminate the smoke. Unfortunate people
far and wide, foolish enough to get behind this steaming hunk of burning
funk got an eye full and a nose full!!! A new meaning to drivin and cryin!!!

A few jugs of water later, leaving the radiator cap only resting on the top,
no need to force more water into the combustion chamber....we made it home.

Now, I have the head off and can see where the gasket pushed aside between 2
and 3 cylinders......That hopefully means no crack. No rust, everything
looks pretty good.

Now, the big question, how can I tell if the head is warped without taking
it to a machine shop?

Is it worthwhile just putting things back together and seeing if it holds?
What should I look for as far as the head's condition, everything looks
good, it doesn't look like the valves have receded into their seats......

Should I do a valve job, just because I have the head off????????