Re: TR4 swallows Miata in a cloud of smoke!!!!!

To: Christian Simonsen <shammy@inmind.com>
Subject: Re: TR4 swallows Miata in a cloud of smoke!!!!!
From: "Brian W. Neuschwander" <bwnbcg@sjm.infi.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 19:13:20 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Christian Simonsen wrote:

> Should I do a valve job, just because I have the head off????????

If you have very many miles on it, just do it.  Should cost about $120.

To check the head, place a straight edge (I mean a real STRAIGHT edge,
like what a machinist uses) across the surface.  Run your feeler gauge
under it to check for the gap.  Should run zero to .002 (that's TWO
Thousanths, not Twenty Thousanths) according to the guy that did my
head.  Mine was out about .007. So I had him take about SIXTY thousanths
off.  But that is another story.  Objective was to boost compression.
Not recommended unless you are willing to replace the head.  Otherwise,
just have them take off only what is necessary.  Reassemble with quality
gasket and follow the book on sequence and torque unless you are willing
to be a test pilot.

--
Brian W. Neuschwander
Santa Cruz, California