Re: British Plates<01BCC76A.2D26A760.bullobc@vtxix.slg.eds.com>

To: Chris Bullock <bullobc@vtxix.slg.eds.com>
Subject: Re: British Plates<01BCC76A.2D26A760.bullobc@vtxix.slg.eds.com>
From: RICHARD.JACKSON@NENE.AC.UK
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 09:26:30 +0000 (GMT)
Cc: "'Triumph List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>, RICHARD.JACKSON@NENE.AC.UK
>Afternoon from sunny Vermont (sure wasn't this weekend!),

>An English fellow came by my car at the show this weekend, and was looking
>at the British tags on my PI.  He pondered aloud for a moment, then said
>'hmmm, a 1970 TR6' - and he hadn't looked at the show tag with the car's
>info, so I asked him how he knew that.

>My plate, BYK 9H, apparently indicates that YK is the region, and the H
>designates Aug, 1970 through July, 1971 - how about that!  They're black in

WRONG!!!! the H indicates Aug 69 to July 70.  Haven't a clue what region YK
indicates, but if no-one else knows, I'll have a look in a mag that recently
ran an article on registration plates, thats if you REALLY want to know!!! :-)

>the front and back as well - apparently didn't change to yellow in the rear
>until after 1970.  Any of the UK listers add some more detail here for me?
> My heritage certificate says the car was dispatched to Guy Salmon Ltd in
>Teddington, Middlesex in late July of 1970.

They changed to used yellow plates on the back from sometime in 71 I think! or
it may have been anytime up to 73, I can't remember, I was only 3 in 73!!!!
That ain't got the same ring to it as American Grafitti eh!!!  Where were you

Cheers

Rich