SB42...one year off?

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: SB42...one year off?
From: tom.omalley@channel1.com
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 1997 02:06:16 GMT
>> If you will take the time to check the fact that the 1974 had the same smog
>> equipment as the 1973 ie; no smog pump or air rail in the manifold, and was
>> designed in operate on leaded gasoline, you may see my point.

>  I don't think the text of SB42 was really ever intended
>to be MGB specific. ;>
>Trevor Boicey

 :-)  Now Trevor.....John was talking about his Spit....not the B.
BTW...I hadn't realized you owned a Midget.  I take back everything
untoward I ever said about them.  :-)

Actually...I found 1974 to be an strange year for the cutoff too.
1975 was the first year that 'most' new cars registered for use in the
United States required cat converters and unleaded fuel usage.
This was a major change...not just a rehash of creative timing and EGR
plumbing variations.

Now if CA had gone the route of the cat converter a year or two
earlier I could understand...anyone know if this might be true?

IMHO 1981 would be a good year to pick for enforcing emissions
standards.  This was the first year of GM's closed loop computer
command system, <tm?> and about the first time in over a decade that
cars actually started to run well again...like they do today.

Tom O'Malley
'7?, '77 Spits