Re: electrical puzzle

To: Tom Howard <thoward@sdcoe.k12.ca.us>
Subject: Re: electrical puzzle
From: Ken Streeter <streeter@sanders.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 1997 07:14:13 -0400
Cc: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Tom Howard wrote:

> At 04:44 PM 9/23/97 -0600, Peter Zaborski wrote:
> >Bet I'm not the only one with this, ahem, feature in my
> > british car (TR6 in my case).

> >The instrument lights are not very bright.

I have the same feature in both of my TR6s.  On my '74 TR6,
the wiper/wash and hazard lights do appear much brighter
than the gauge lights.  I think this is primarily because
of the difference in direct / relected illumination in the
two cases.  (On the '70 TR6, these switches aren't
illuminated.)

Everything that Tom Howard suggested checking (using a
voltmeter and working back along connections to find
voltage drops) is a good way to find connections that
need cleaning, which is surely a factor in your dimmer
bulbs on a 20-year old car.  (I do think that 14 volts
is a little high to expect at the bulbs, but the bulb
voltages should at least be within about .3 volts of the
voltage measured at the battery, which should be in the
range of 13.0-14.5 volts when the car is running.)

Something else that may be a factor here is the interior
of the gauges getting dusty!  Being reflected illumination,
even a little bit of dust on the reflective surfaces inside
the gauge will cut down *a lot* on the amount of
illumination you get.  I would suggest taking one of the
easier-to-reach gauges out, taking off the case, cleaning
the reflective surfaces inside, putting in a new bulb,
and seeing if it makes that gauge significantly brighter
than the others.  If it does, you have three other minor
gauges to play with...  (not to mention the speedo and tach)

--ken
'70 & '74 TR6 Daily Drivers
--
Kenneth B. Streeter         | EMAIL: streeter@sanders.com