Re: TR-4A - Trunk floor size and attachment question

To: John Cowan <jfcowan@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: TR-4A - Trunk floor size and attachment question
From: "Brian S. Thomas" <thomasb@post.queensu.ca>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 1997 09:53:05 -0400
Cc: triumphs@triumph.cs.utah.edu
At 04:21 PM 9/24/97 -0700, you wrote:
>   I'm planning to homebrew a replacement for the missing trunk floor in my
>solid axle late model TR-4A rather than buy one for $150.  Can anyone tell
me:

>1.  How is the front of the trunk floor mounted to the chassis?

John:

The board is a piece of aspenite - probably 3/16" from the factory - I used
1/4" in my reproduction.  The hinging effect at the front is simply the
board under the "clips" you describe, pivoting.  There is a metal piece
mounted at the front (L shaped with the leg of the L going under the board
and the vertical part fitting behind the board which covers the gas tank.  The
piece at the back is more complex - from the side, the part that goes under
the
board is W shaped with wings on the top of each side of the W (the W is
missing
the middle vertical piece.  At the back edge the wing wraps around the edge
of the  board and stops 1/2 an inch or so into the board.  These metal
pieces give the board some resistance to warping (IMHO).  The board covers
the whole opening (i.e. front to back).

 __                                                              |
|_______________________________________________________________ |
|__           ___                                              __|
   \         /
    \_______/

Above is side view of board showing two middle pieces.

I actually fabricated two boards for my car.  I have a spare which I would
sell for $100 U.S. (plus shipping).  Let me know if you are interested and
I'll supply more detail.

I hope this helps.

Brian

Brian S. Thomas                 e-mail: ThomasB@Post.QueensU.Ca
Co-ordinator, Info. Systems     v-mail: 613-545-2228
Computing Centre                   fax: 613-545-2168
Queen's University                home: 613-542-8110
Kingston, Ontario CANADA K7L 3N6  toys: '54 TR2,'56 TR3,'67 TR4A,'80 TR8