FW: Simple job, complications as usual

To: triumphs
Subject: FW: Simple job, complications as usual
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 1997 16:47:22 -0600 (MDT)
[BOUNCE triumphs@Autox.Team.Net:     global taboo body match "/Darwin/i" at
line 20]

     Date: Thu, 25 Sep 1997 16:13:26 -0400
     From: "The Browns" <thebrown@scci.net>
     Subject: Simple job, complications as usual

Yesterday, I decided to install an electric fan in my TR4, which seemed like a
straight forward task, expected to last about three hours.  Well, the
installation went smooth enough until it was time to test my great work!  The
car started right up, without a hesitation.  As I let it warm up to check the
thermostat operation, I slowly pushed in the choke.  Of course, it stalled.  I
went to start it again, and the starter wouldn't engage the drive pinion.
Being late I decided to wait until today, to remove the starter to fix/replace
the pinion.  Those who have done this know that it is a knuckle buster to get
to the two bolts holding it in.  I finally got them removed and proceeded to
withdraw the starter when the starter drive nut and the starter drive spring
fell inside the clutch housing.  After spending two hours with mirror and
magnets, the two parts were nowhere to be found.  Tomorrow, I start the big
task of removing the transmission to get to the missing parts, which probably
lodged themselves in the clutch  somewhere.  What is especially a shame is that
it hasn't been about 2,000 miles since I had this car all apart.

PS: I did find the remnants of the cotter key which was supposed to keep the
starter drive nut from coming undone.

Darwin
1965 TR4 (CT37002L)
1971 Stag (LE1398L)