Re: British Leyland badges on Spit 1500

To: Ken Tharp <kthinc@dwx.com>
Subject: Re: British Leyland badges on Spit 1500
From: Vic Whitmore <vicwhit@octonline.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 1997 09:11:54 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Ken Tharp wrote:

> Listers,
>
> I just bought two of the little nearly square British Leyland badges for
> my '79 Spitfire, and now I'm not sure whether my car should have them..
> None of the pictures I can get my hands on of the later year Spitfires
> shows the badges. Yet, I thought all Spitfires had them. Anybody out
> there have a definitive answer on this? Maybe someone who's a one owner
> or someone with an original paint job??
>
> Thanks,
> Ken Tharp
> West Des Moines, IA
> '79 Spitfire
I saw a Spit (77) on Sunday and the owner said it was in original paint
and badging. It had the British Leyland badges on the sides. I measured
their location so I could put mine on. The right side edge of the badge
is 4 3/4 inches from the edge of the hood latch. The top edge of the
badge is in line with the bottom of the M of the hood latch.
Whether the factory or the dealer put the badge on, I really don't know.
I've seen them in parts catalogs but I suspect that they were put on
only in certain years.

Vic Whitmore
76 Spitfire
Thornhill Ontario