Re: British Leyland badges on Spit 1500

To: kthinc@dwx.com
Subject: Re: British Leyland badges on Spit 1500
From: Martin_A._Secrest@NEB.VOA.GOV
Date: 26 Sep 97 11:24:31
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Ken Tharp wrote:

>>I just bought two of the little nearly square British Leyland badges for
my '79 Spitfire, and now I'm not sure whether my car should have them.
None of the pictures I can get my hands on of the later year Spitfires
shows the badges. Yet, I thought all Spitfires had them. Anybody out
there have a definitive answer on this? Maybe someone who's a one owner
or someone with an original paint job??<<

Ken ... quoting from John Thomasonšs *Spitfire and GT6* book:

*The British Leyland house badges continued to be fitted to the sides of the
bonnet, although from Oct. 1975, it became policy to fit only one, on the right
wing for right-hand drive vehicles, and on the left wing for left-hand drive
vehicles.  In 1976 they began to be left off completely.*

Now ... if you were to ask me ... I would say to hell with policy.  Make the car
as politically incorrect as you like, according to taste.  But then, I don*t
care for
competitions, which to me seem absurd on their face if they don*t
include actual performance tests.

--
Martin Secrest
73 GT6