New Cars - Used cars [was Smog II, III,...]

To: "Mark A. Erickson" <mlazye@northvalley.com>
Subject: New Cars - Used cars [was Smog II, III,...]
From: Tom Howard <thoward@sdcoe.k12.ca.us>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 1997 07:06:50 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
At 08:31 PM 9/25/97 -0700, you wrote:
>I might be mistaken, but I seem to recall something in the Calif. papers
>long ago that stated that the "new" car manufactures had more to do with
>new smog laws then just giving money and providing legal and writing staff.

Mark,

A real indication of how money driven the "Smog-Check" system has become is
the "new little rule" that New car owners may wave their first smog check
(the one that come some two years after you buy).    Oh, yes, you do have to
send in a $40 fee to the state for the privilige.    The logic is that new
cars almost always pass this two year check, so why go through it.   The
logic is that since the owner is not having to go to the trouble to get the
smog check they can pay a fee.   By the way,  the fee money is to go into a
pile to fund the buy-off of OLDER cars to "save our air."   Maybe it will.
But, it will also mean that someone somewhere will have to buy a NEW car to
domino-replace that old car just distroyed.   There are more poeple every
day, more cars, adding up to more demand.

The resulting logic.   New-car-owner, your car is in compliance, pay anyway.
Not to a service station for a check, not the 7 or 8 dollar "certificate"
fee, but rather 5 times that ammount to do your additional fair share in....
well,  in what?   You tell me.

Thomas Howard
LUSD, (619) 390-2627
('72 Triumph GT-6; and a good bit of USA iron)