Re: New Cars - Used cars [was Smog II, III,...]

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: New Cars - Used cars [was Smog II, III,...]
From: ingate@shiseis.com (Shane F. Ingate)
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 97 08:50:47 PDT
Thomas Howard wrote:
        > the "new little rule" that New car owners may wave their first smog
check

Thomas,

        There is a new Bill sitting on Pete Wilsons desk (it has passed
the Assembly, Senate etc) that waives the smog inspection on new cars
for 4 years.  New car owners will still have to pay $36 (I think, but they may
change - its in the Bill wording somewhere) per year.  This Bill was drafted
when BAR-97 (Smog Check II) was drafted, because BAR realized that a
significant percentage of new cars will fail BAR-97.  Its a real bummer
to face the owner of a 2-year-old SUV and tell him he has to queue up
at the State Referee Station because his car just failed the new emissions
tests.

        On a personal note, I can understand that a few people on this list
may be really peeved with "this Ingate guy", who whines of the portents of
doom, and probably dumps toxic chemicals at the local playground.  Actually
I am a very vocal and active advocate for personal freedom and fairness.
I believe in, and fight for freedom of speech (especially on the Internet)
and freedom for responsible ownership.  When I see this frail and thin veneer
of democracy being eroded, I do what I can to prevent its loss. Freedom is
not a right (as imposed by the human condition), it must be attained in a
responsible manner.  Some folk may disagree with the last statement,
but I believe that when we become complacent if we disciminate between
rights and priveledges.

        I'd better get back to work.   This stuff is better left for
late at night over a good single malt.  If you read this far, I hope I
did not waste your time.

        Shane Ingate in San Diego