Re: Engine Questions

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Engine Questions
From: Chip Old <fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us>
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 1997 21:55:41 -0400 (EDT)
On Sun, 28 Sep 1997 Schloss3@aol.com wrote:

> I'm in the process of putting the pieces back together and have a couple of
> questions.  First, I'm not too sure that I've got the original engine.  The
> car is a 61 TR4 (CT133).  The engine number is somewhere around 38000.  I
> would think that a 61 would have a lower number engine.

There is no precise correlation between commission numbers and engine
numbers, but if your commission number is CT133 then the original engine
number would have been in the low hundreds.  If yours is "somewhere
around 38000", it's definitely a replacement, probably from a very late
TR4 or early TR4A.

> Also, from what I've read, the early TR4 did not have bearings pressed
> in for the camshaft to ride on.  Well this engine definitely has those
> bearings.  Can anyone confirm my suspicions?

That's true of the early TR3, not the early TR4.  On TR2 and early TR3
engines (up to engine number TS8996E) the camshaft journals ride right in
the cast iron block.  TR3 engines after that number and all TR4/4A engines
use bearing inserts.

> My next question has to do with something I found while cleaning up the
> cylinder head.  Between the number 2 and 3 cylinders there appears to be a
> hairline fracture running between the openings for the water jacket.  I don't
> know how serious this could be.   The head gasket would definitely cover this
> and short of a blown head gasket, I don't think(hoping) it would not be a
> problem.  Has anyone else experienced anything like this and should I be
> concerned?

Yes you should be concerned.  The crack may (or may not) be minor now, but
it will grow.  The best solution is a replacement head. If that's
impossible a good machine shop can repair the crack, but don't expect a
repair to hold forever.

Chip Old                      1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland            1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO (daily driver)
fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us