Re: TR6 horn help needed

To: "Mark S. Lepore, MD" <Sirmoog@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: TR6 horn help needed
From: bills <bills@pagesz.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 23:28:30 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Mark S. Lepore, MD wrote:

> I've had horn problems on my 1971 TR6, but think I've narrowed the
> problem down:
> When the car is off, no key in ignition, the horn works fine.
> When the key is inserted and the ignition is turned the horn doesn't
> work.
> I think there must be a wire or something on a wrong contact on the
> ignition switch.
> If anyone can explain how the wires should be connected and what I
> should look for, I'd be very appreciative.
> Sirmoog
> 71 tr6 cincinnati

Mark,

I had the same problem.  Mine turned out to be a loose ground.  I also
noticed that turning the steering wheel while the engine was on would
allow the horn to work.  I replaced the wiring under the steering
column, the horn button, spring and all else I could see up there.  I
went through this every year to get the car through inspection.  This
year my drivers side headlamp was too dim.  I followed the wiring and
found the ground for the head lamp loose.  I replaced the lug and
receptacle and my horn works fine now.  I didn't check the wiring
schematic and/or color codes, but at least in my car the horn and
headlamp must have shared this ground.  Check your wiring and secure the
grounds.

Good luck,
Bill

76 TR6, Raleigh, NC