Re: hub cap removal

To: The Browns <thebrown@scci.net>
Subject: Re: hub cap removal
From: Vic Whitmore <vicwhit@octonline.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 1997 14:04:34 -0400
Cc: CAMHI ALAN <camhi@symbol.com>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
The Browns wrote:

> There is a small hole in end of grease retaining cup ( hub cap) where you can
> insert  a # 10 machine screw (10-28) and as you tighten it, it will push
> against the axle and withdraw the cap.  Alternative is to take a large channel
> lock pliers and with a twisting motion you can back it off..
> D. Brown
> ----------
> From: CAMHI ALAN <camhi@symbol.com>
> To: triumphs@autox.team.net
> Subject: hub cap removal
> Date: Tuesday, September 30, 1997 10:28 AM
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> We'll, I discovered how stupid I can be and totally overlooked the
> obvious solution to my most recent problem.  Previously, I asked about
> the correctness of my rear brake hose connections.  I had a metal hose
> with a threaded nut extension screwing into an internally tapped
> connector that then also housed the rear rubber brake line..
>
> Well when I turned the connector one way to catch some threads, I lost
> the seal on the other end where the rubber hose seated.  What I found out
> is that the nut attached to the metal pipe turns.  It was so badly rusted
> that I thought it was an itegral part of the metal tubing.  Anyway, now
> everything fits and mates fine.
> Blame it on lack of experience/mechanical ineptness..
>
> Next question.....How do you get the front hub cap off the hub so as to
> expose the casselated nut.  I need to install a missing lug onto my front
> hub and all Bentley says is to screw in a #10 set screw into the hub cap
> and miraculously, that will remove it(I assume it is threaded)..
>
> Has anyone done this and also, while I have the hub off, is there
> anything I should do or look for..
>
> Thanks for all the help..
>
> Cheers,
>
> Alan Camhi
> '65 TR4
Good luck on getting the cap off. I've been there, done that. The hole
just strips larger from the threads of the bolt if the cap is really on
tight. I ended up destroying the caps getting them off. Have a backup
plan for new caps when you start. On the new caps ( or your old ones of
they come off OK) weld or epoxy 10-24 nuts on the inside of the cap. JB
WELD epoxy works just fine. Now the bolt has something to work on as the
bolt pushes against the axle stub.

Vic Whitmore
76 Spitfire
Thornhill, Ontario