British car registrations

To: fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us (chipold), triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: British car registrations
From: GuyotLeonF@aol.com
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 1997 16:55:12 -0400 (EDT)
On Sat, 27 Sep 1997 18:25:36 -0400 (EDT)
Chip Old <fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us>
wrote: Subject: Re: British car registrations
On Sat, 27 Sep 1997 GuyotLeonF@aol.com wrote:
> Someone on the list recently wanted to know where their car came from in
> Britain from the second two letters in the registration # YK
> [lots deleted]
> Hope this helps and is of interest to our American listers who know their
> LBC's British registration if any.

What does your book say about JLV525?  That was the registration number on
my MG-TC when I brought it over from England in the late 1960's.  I still
have the old MOT registration booklet and the round windscreen sticker
around here somewhere...

OK Chip, JLV 525 (remember the space) is from Liverpool (County Borough
Council)
The pre-suffix letter registrations with three letters preceding three
numbers,was in use from 1932 and ran through until April 1953,thereafter it
changed around so that the letters followed the numbers.

Therefore,your car was originally registered in Liverpool (it's a scouser,can
you do the accent?-remember the Beatles?),
sometime between 1932 and April 1953,according to the registration no.

Since the MG TC was produced from November 1945 until December 1949 and they
built 10,002 of them,you can narrow it down still further to between those
four years!
Chassis sequence runs from TC 0251-TC 10252,so if you've still got that car
and the chassis no,you should be able to pin it right down!
Perhaps BMIHT can supply a build certificate?
Regards
Leon F Guyot
(ps.Don't ask me about MGB's,coz i don't care for them)