Macau Spitfire

To: vitesse@juno.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Macau Spitfire
From: GuyotLeonF@aol.com
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 1997 16:56:11 -0400 (EDT)
On Sun, 28 Sep 1997
vitesse@juno.com (Hugh R McAleer)
wrote: Subject: Macau Spit

Just curious if anyone knows what happened to this car?  It was at Road
Atlanta at the SVRA races in '84 ( I saw it there and it did run the
track ) and I know that it changed hands that weekend.

I was rummaging through some literature looking for something or another
and found a copy of a Sports Car Graphic article written by  Jerry Titus
in July 1967....got the cogs turning.
TIA
Hugh R. McAleer
Jonesboro, GA
'68 TR 250, owned since 1980
'71 Stag '73 Stag
75 TR7 Victory Edition

Hugh,I'm beginning to feel like Andy these days!
The Macau Spitfire turned up at Auction in Switzerland in the late 1980's
Remember those prices in the boom! ouch,
Anyhow,it was sold at a fairly low price as a 'poor replica' of a Le Mans
Spitfire with the roof cut-off!!! Oh dear,how wrong could the auctioneers be?
It was even reported in one of the major classic car magazine as
such,(classic & sportscar I think).
It was bought by Dieter Messmer of Switzerland and as far as I know,he still
owns it.
In July 1995,he drove it from Switzerland to the Triumph Sports Six Club
International Rally at Stafford,(just north of Birmingham),still fitted with
its' wild race tuned six cylinder engine,acquired when it was in the USA and
a wonderful open exhaust system,it was the loudest and most awesome Triumph
I've ever heard.
I got a chance to video tape close up details of the car,(PAL),and to sit in
it,just to try  it out for size you undersatand! (yes it fitted me!)
I hope that answers you question.
Regards
Leon F Guyot
TSSC International