Re: '70 TR6 alt

To: rgb@exact.com
Subject: Re: '70 TR6 alt
From: scott suhring <suhring@lancnews.infi.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 1997 21:01:17 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
rgb@exact.com wrote:

> generally this means a diode in the alternator rectifier has failed,
> seems there are 6 in there.  It will run for years like this, but
> someday it will get worse.  Do yourself a favor and the next time
> the car is down, drop the alt by a local rebuild center that knows
> what "Lucas" means.  We've got a big place here in Austin, TX that
> will do the unit the day you drop it off.
>
> Max charge is $85, which is normally my charge as I'm dropping off
> junkyard pieces which are frozen in place...  come back looking like
> new.
>
> I would NOT exchange my unit, always have yours rebuilt and all the
> connections work...   and you avoid getting one of MY cores...
>
> Roger

Roger:

Thanks for the advise. I've already decided to go the route of either
tackeling the rebuild myself (rectifier is about $29) or taking to
a rebuild shop (haven't checked out prices yet).  Charlie Brown's
write up seems pretty straight forward.

Only question I have, to the list also, is my Lucas alternator is
labeled
differently than any listed in the TRF catelog.  It has a large 1 on the
backing (the black placstic casing) and then a box shaped outline with
the
numbers 5 6 7 vertically alligned in the box and then ACR next to the
box.
My interpretation of this would be the alternator can be used/is equal
the 15 ACR, the 16 ACR, and the 17 ACR.  The rear wire connector has two
leads, one with three wires (smaller brown, brown/yellow, and another
brown/
yellow or white (didn't check that closely yet)) and the other with two
wires
(large brown/yellow and the ground wire).  Anyone familiar with this
setup
for a Lucas alternator? Charlie, are you listening?

Scott Suhring
Elizabethtown, PA
'70 TR6