re: '72 Spit MKIV Compression

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: re: '72 Spit MKIV Compression
From: tomomalley@hey.net (Tom O'Malley)
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 1997 02:37:33 GMT
Pierre writes:

>        I was wondering if someone could tell me what I "should" read when I
>test the compression on by 4 cylenders?   What's a good compression,  an okay,
>poor, and terrible?
>        Pierre-Yves Morissette

Pierre...a lot depends on whether or not yours is a low or high
compression spec engine.  It's designated in the engine number stamped
on the block, but unfortunately I've forgotten the code for
this...maybe other listers can jump in and tell you.

Meanwhile...here's an old message from Motorhead inc. that might
give you some compression figures to compare:

>begin message

     We have learned some generalities about compression on British
cars:

1.   Low compression engine cylinders normally read about 120-130 from
new.  Readings as low as 110 or as high as 140 can occur.

2.  High compression engine cylinders read about 160-170 from new.
Readings as low as 150 or as high as 200 can occur.

3.  Each compression gauge reads differently and so the comparison
between cylinders is most interesting.  Cylinders like to be within 15
# of each other. Generally readings below 100 indicate trouble.

>end

Tom O'Malley
'74, '77 Spits