Re: FW: R&R Crankshaft sprocket

To: Mark J Bradakis <mjb@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: FW: R&R Crankshaft sprocket
From: Joe Curry <curry@wolfenet.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 16:58:49 -0800
Cc: triumphs@triumph.cs.utah.edu
Mark J Bradakis wrote:

> [BOUNCE triumphs@Autox.Team.Net:    Non-member submission from ["William
>West" <will_thane@email.msn.com>]]
>
>      Date: Sun, 19 Oct 1997 18:45:29 -0700
>      From: "William West" <will_thane@email.msn.com>
>      Subject: R&R Crankshaft sprocket
>
> Greetings again!
>
> Ok, I'm slowly piecing together my inherited '78 1500 (racing) Midget.  Just
> today, I discovered, buried in one of the many boxes, a brand spanking new
> crankshaft sprocket.
>
> This is good considering I was just informed that since I have a new cam
> sprocket, that I need a new crank sprocket.  My question, though, is just
> how in the heck do I get that sprocket off of the crankshaft? There is what
> appears to be  a half circle key holding the assembly together, but how do I
> remove this thing.  And even more importantly, how do I get it back
> together????
>
> Will (who is now reluctantly disassembling his main bearing caps and
> connecting rod caps to use a wee-bit o'locktite, since most people suggested
> that it was a good idea...One step forward, two steps back..ahhh, the story
> of my life...sheesh)
>
> PS.  Those duel webers sitting in the box next to me are looking more and
> more menacing...

I am assuming you have the Spitfire 1500 engine in the Midget.  If so,
after you remove the woodruff key , the gear should come off with the
aid of 2 large screwdrivers opposing each other and leveraging the gear
off.  It is not press-fitted on, but may have positioned itself firmly
over time.  If you can't get it off that way, you may have to use a gear
puller.  Caution, don't get too aggressive with the screwdriver method
before giving up inl favor of the puller.

Hopefully,

Joe Curry   '63 Spit (good gears, no doors)