Re: Sand(Bead)blasting Questions

To: Peter Lucas <pllj@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Sand(Bead)blasting Questions
From: Joe Curry <curry@wolfenet.com>
Date: Sun, 02 Nov 1997 10:43:21 -0800
Cc: JoeSimcoe@aol.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Peter Lucas wrote:

> Joe,
>         Bead blasting is the way to go. With sand blasting, the metal pits and
> erodes much more. Bead blasting will cost you a little more, but it's
> worth it for the condition it leaves the metal.
> I.E.: ready to etch, prime etc.
> good luck,
> PL

Joe, I must interject a footnote into what Peter has said.

He is correct, Bead blasting is less pitting.  However, one must qualify
that statement.  The amount of pitting is determined by two things, (1)
courseness of the medium used and (2) pressure used to shoot the medium.

Also, one thing to consider is: While I would never suggest using
high-pressure course sand blasting on body parts, using a moderately
fine quartz or garnett and moderate pressure will cut through the
built-up gunk usually deposited on frames by years of leaking oil and
grease, while one can spend a small fortune in glass (or plastic) beads
and still not get it all off.

The other consideration is whether the "pitting" is a bad thing.  On a
frame, A rougher surface provides a great base for which a good Epoxy
(or other type) primer can bond.  It is in either case important to
ensure the surface is completely devoid of any grease or material before
applying the primer.  There is a product from PPG called "Acrili-Clean"
(I think that's how it is spelled) that when used to wipe down the
sufrace, will remove all kinds of grease, oil, wax and other foreign
matter prior to painting.

Food for thought.

Joe Curry   '63 Spit