Re: Sand(Bead)blasting Questions

To: Justin Wagner <jmwagner@greenheart.com>
Subject: Re: Sand(Bead)blasting Questions
From: Joe Curry <curry@wolfenet.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 1997 20:04:15 -0800
Cc: suchak@mediaone.net, Peter Lucas <pllj@earthlink.net>, JoeSimcoe@aol.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Justin Wagner wrote:

> Why not spend $20.00 on 3 mil 20' x 20' plastic sheeting... lay it
> out... and RECOVER your media?   800 lbs?????  Where'd it go?   :)  Just
> wondering.
>
> Justin

Justin,
Here's my take on reusing media.

1. If you are blasting a very cruddy frame, the residue will be cruddy
and very difficult to sift for reuse.

2. If you use glass beads, they tend to break when shot, so reusing them
will be the same as sand after the first or second re-use.

3. Even sand particles break apart when shot through a blasting gun, so
recovering that is even less productive than one might think.

To sum up my thoughts, sand is cheap, does a great job and lays down a
matte finish that accepts primer well.  The only fault with using sand
is it won't get inside hollow channels like dipping a frame does.

My 2 pfennig worth
Joe Curry