1 1/4" SU's on 1500 engine

To: Triumph Mail List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: 1 1/4" SU's on 1500 engine
From: Joe Curry <curry@wolfenet.com>
Date: Sun, 02 Nov 1997 14:58:13 -0800
To all,

For any interested parties who dare to venture where fools fear to
tread, I will file this report, in hope it has some relevance.

Having installed a 1300 intake manifold and carbs on my 1500 engine
(mostly to at least appear original in a '63 Spitfire, I realized that
the jetting may be insufficient for the larger engine.  Not having a
clue where to start, I contacted Moss regarding selection of jets for
the 1 1/4" HS2's.  They were only helpful to the extent that they
referred me to "Mr. SU", (their term mot mine) Joe Curto who is in New
Jearsey.

Calling Joe Curto, I received the suggestion to try a #5 needle which if
I remember correctly, was used on an MGA 1600 engine. (Please no calls
to correct me on that).  I installed them on the carbs but they did not
correct my immediate problem (which turned out to be a too much shaved
head).  So I put the 1300 needles back in.

After solving the head problem and going through the break-in period, I
decided to re-install the #5's and see if it corrected my rather strange
power range that appeared to be carb. related.  I did so and adjusted
the jets only a little bit to achieve the highest idle speed. I must
say, I was amazed how smooth the acceleration is and how the rough idle
suddenly stabilized.

One note on this: Not every 1500 is created equal and results may (and
probably will vary depending on a number of things, compression ratio,
Wear factors on engine and carbs, exhaust system used, etc.)

I hope this helps somebody, I could have used the info when I started.

Regards,
Joe Curry   '63 Spit