Trunions, Something to think about

To: list <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Trunions, Something to think about
From: Bill Woodruff <woodruff@fail.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 1997 10:35:45 -0800
>JAMES_S_WALLACE@HP-Canada-om1.om.hp.com writes:
>
>     I asked before, but got not responses, so I'll simplify my question:
>
>     *****************************************************
>
>     Why Do Triumphs Use Trunnions Instead Of Ball Joints?
>
>     *****************************************************

The short answer is that they change the geometry of the front end thus
allowing the toe, castor, and camber to be a function of steering input.
The screw thread changes the relationship (separation) between the upper
and lower 'A' arms as it is turned.

You know, its a pretty sad statement about the health of these lists when a
relatively straight forward question like this goes unanswered for so long.
 When I asked this same question about 5 years ago, the list spent a few
days in a fairly technical discussion of Spitfire front suspension; there
is much to it.

I know it takes me a LONG time to wade through even a fraction of all the
messages posted here.  Heck, I throw out a ton of mail w/o ever looking at
it.  There are many questions posed that I know the answer to, but never
seem to find the time to answer.  You might think about that when you
considering whether or not to send a message.

William Woodruff                                woodruff@fail.com
San Francisco, CA