Re: Trunions, Something to think about

To: Bill Woodruff <woodruff@fail.com>
Subject: Re: Trunions, Something to think about
From: bharris <harris88@rochester.infi.net>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 1997 22:13:27 -0500
Cc: list <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Bill Woodruff wrote:

> >JAMES_S_WALLACE@HP-Canada-om1.om.hp.com writes:
> >
> >     I asked before, but got not responses, so I'll simplify my question:
> >
> >     *****************************************************
> >
> >     Why Do Triumphs Use Trunnions Instead Of Ball Joints?
> >
> >     *****************************************************
>
> The short answer is that they change the geometry of the front end thus
> allowing the toe, castor, and camber to be a function of steering input.
> The screw thread changes the relationship (separation) between the upper
> and lower 'A' arms as it is turned.
>
> You know, its a pretty sad statement about the health of these lists when a
> relatively straight forward question like this goes unanswered for so long.
>  When I asked this same question about 5 years ago, the list spent a few
> days in a fairly technical discussion of Spitfire front suspension; there
> is much to it.
>
> I know it takes me a LONG time to wade through even a fraction of all the
> messages posted here.  Heck, I throw out a ton of mail w/o ever looking at
> it.  There are many questions posed that I know the answer to, but never
> seem to find the time to answer.  You might think about that when you
> considering whether or not to send a message.
>
> William Woodruff                                woodruff@fail.com
> San Francisco, CA

 Hey Bill,
          I think that anyone with these type answers should be devoting
more time answering questions and improving the state of these lists
than cutting down the people that are trying.It sounds like there are a
lot of us that could learn from you,so what ya say...can you afford a
little more time to contribute???
                                     Bob Harris
                                     76 Spit FM45276U