Re: Subject: Early Stromberg Carbs, an update.

To: "'Triumph List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Subject: Early Stromberg Carbs, an update.
From: Stuart Steele <ssteele@switchsolutions.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 1997 11:06:23 -0600
>Finally, I attempted to used the adjustment
>tool that I bought at VB and THE CARB WOULD NOT ADJUST.  No place for
>the allen wrench to get hold of down there.  So, these carbs do not
>adjust. (easily)

Some Stombergs fitted at various times are, in fact listed as
non-adjustable in the Haynes ZS book. I think that the needle itself is
adjusted via the grub screw in the side of the air horn ( or, possibly,
not at all ).  Some Strombergs are listed as adjustable, and adjust from
the top, with the tool that you have mentioned.  There is, however, a
second type of Stromberg, supposedly only fitted to 1969 models, which
is adjusted from the underside with a special tool, which is inserted
through an opening, normally blocked by a plug, in the float bowl.  From
my limited experience, the top adjusting type always has a tiny notch in
the damper cylinder for engaging the adjustment tool, and the
non-adjustable type differs only in lacking this small notch.  The other
type is easily identified by the removable plug on the underside of the
float bowl.  As an aside, Volvos used this same bottom adjusting
Stromberg at one time, so if the adjusting tool cannot be found from
Triumph sources, then Volvo sources may have it.

Stuart Steele
1969 TR6