Re: Tranny/engine removal

Subject: Re: Tranny/engine removal
From: Susan Hensley <susan@grotecon.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 1997 09:19:46 -0600
Hi Ed!

>   So, which is the preferred method for the task of a clutch replacement --
> pull the engine or the transmission?

On the Spit, you pull the transmission from the inside.  It's pretty
easy (if you don't have a scatter shield like I do on the race car, and
if the bolts aren't frozen) and it took me about an hour the first time
and about 30 minutes the second time.  You have to undo the 4 bolts at
the rear flange/drive shaft, the bellhousing bolts, the two starter
bolts, remove the slave cylinder (I left it attached to the hydraulic
line to avoid bleeding the clutch again but be careful not to crimp the
line with the bellhousing as you are moving it around), and remove the
transmission mount nuts.  Be sure you have a clutch alignment tool to
line up the disk and the cover so the trans will go back on reasonably
easily.  Jim Gambony helped me immensely with getting the trans off the
drive shaft the first time and then with putting it back on -- it's a
LOT easier with two people, but can be done with one.  (He's been a real
asset to my "racing program!")

Hope this helps!

Keep Triumphing,
Susan Hensley   %)