Re: More on ATF in the petrol(not as much LBC content as usual)

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: More on ATF in the petrol(not as much LBC content as usual)
From: kinderlehrer@mindspring.com (Kinderlehrer's)
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 1997 00:16:24 -0500 (EST)
>Along this same line,
>
>The engine in our 61 Chrysler Newport (361ci V8) is very dirty inside.  I'd
>guess non-detergent oil was used most of its life (although it has detergent
>oil in it now).  I asked a local parts vendor about using a motor flush to
>clean it out.  His response was "don't do it or you'll have to rebuild the
>engine".  I've flushed TR engines before without harm, but they weren't
>quite this dirty.
>
>So, is using ATF to do the flushing a gentler was to do this, or am I asking
>for the same trouble?  Or will it cause trouble at all?  I've heard the same
>stories about putting detergent oil in cars that ran with non-detergent oil.
>I am not shy about trying something with a good chance of success, just don't
>want to trash the engine yet.
>
>What's the experience base out there say to this one?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Bruce Clough
>clough@batman.flight.wpafb.af.mil  ...or...  clough@erinet.com
>All them little TRs
>All them big Detroit boats

Bruce,

Back in '61 (yes, I can still remember some things from way back then) the
common logic in the old time back alley garage was, never go from
non-detergent to detergent oil.  It will clean out all the grease and stuff
that's holding the engine together.  Sounds like the same logic from your
parts vendor.

Bob