Re: More on ATF in the petrol(not as much LBC content as usual)

To: Zink <zink@pdq.net>
Subject: Re: More on ATF in the petrol(not as much LBC content as usual)
From: stu.jo@ibm.net
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 1997 10:46:28 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Zink wrote:

> Bruce T. Clough wrote:
> >
> > Along this same line,
> >
> > The engine in our 61 Chrysler Newport (361ci V8) is very dirty inside.
> > I'd
> > guess non-detergent oil was used most of its life (although it has
> > detergent
> > oil in it now).  I asked a local parts vendor about using a motor
> > flush to
> > clean it out.  His response was "don't do it or you'll have to rebuild
> > the
> > engine".  I've flushed TR engines before without harm, but they
> > weren't
> > quite this dirty.
> >
> > So, is using ATF to do the flushing a gentler was to do this, or am I
> > asking
> > for the same trouble?  Or will it cause trouble at all?  I've heard
> > the same
> > stories about putting detergent oil in cars that ran with
> > non-detergent oil.
> > I am not shy about trying something with a good chance of success,
> > just don't
> > want to trash the engine yet.
> >
> > What's the experience base out there say to this one?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Bruce Clough
> > clough@batman.flight.wpafb.af.mil  ...or...  clough@erinet.com
> > All them little TRs
> > All them big Detroit boats
>
> Bruce,
> Try using a diesle engine oil, they are higher in deyergants than auto
> engine oil.  Run for 500 miles and do a complete oil change including
> filter.  We used to do this when I was working in a real service station
> back in the "old days",1970-1972.
>
> I've seen it clean up some pretty dirty engines, of course if you want
> to use synthetic oil you can acheive the same results, it just cost more
> for the oil.
>
> Larry Zink
> 1964 Spitfire4
> Houston

IMHO, putting a high detergent asdditive in a dirty engine can have
disastroous affects.This is because the detergent piocks up a lot of
sludge and deposits it in critical oilways. I speak from experience,
having done this to a 1956 Ford Zephyr in the UK back in the early 60's
when some new oil came out that was going to do all kinds of wonderful
things to keep your engine clean