Re: Spit. front wing

To: curry@wolfenet.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Spit. front wing
From: "Jonathan Miles" <MILESJE@novell2.bham.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 1997 13:10:17
> Jonathan Miles wrote:
> >
> > Can anyone help?
> >
> > I'm currently replacing the front wings on my '77 spitfire 1500 with
> > new British Motor Heritage (Rover) parts. I've got to the stage where
> > I've removed the old wing leaving the reinforcing piece at the rear
> > edge behind. The new wing that I'm putting on has a flange on the
> > rear edge (the edge which runs parallel to the bonnet securing
> > catches). This flange is similar to that on a door skin which you
> > then fold over. My question is: do you fold over the flange on the
> > rear edge of the wing and weld it to the reinforcing section, or is
> > the flange just left as it is? On the old wings the flange was folded
> > over, but they were non-original parts.
> >
> > TIA,
> >
> > Jonathan
> >
> > '77 Spitfire 1500

> Johnathan,
> I think it is your British terminology that is throwing me. Exactly
> which part are you replacing?  I think of "Wings" as what we call
> Fenders in the US of A.  But your description isn't clear as to which
> flanges are the problem.  I have not replaced any bonnet parts on my
> Spit, but I did replace several other body panels which were rusted
> through.  None required any bending.  Most provided surface area for
> Spot Welding the new panels to the mating surface.
>
> I hope this helps, if not let know more details and I'll hopefully be
> able to impart something gained through my own experiences.
>
> I am looking forward to the details on your Spitfire for the
> international database I am compiling.
>
> Regards,
> Joe Curry

Sorry Joe, I'm not describing this too well am I. The flange I'm
refering to is on the back edge of the wing (fender). It's not the
spot welded flange that attaches to the bonnet top. There is a
horizontal flange on the lower rear edge of the wing which rests
along the top of the sill (rocker panel?) if the bonnet is closed.
This is not welded to anything. If you continue upwards, there is a
flange on the replacement wing which is vertical and lines up with
the front of the door. This is the flange I'm referring to. What I
need to know is: does it stay as a flange (like the lower edge of the
wing behind the wheel arch) or does it fold over in the same way as a
door skin does?

This is so hard to explain!!!

Cheers,

Jonathan

P.S. Joe, I think I sent you the details of my car, didn't I ?