Hot carb?

To: Triumph list <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Hot carb?
From: bugeye59@kingsnet.com
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 1997 20:37:03 -0800
Hello all,
While running my TR6 this afternoon, I discovered the back carb is not
working at all, therefore starving cylinders 4, 5 and 6 for fuel.  In
fact, when those three plug wires were disconnected, the car ran the
same (and pretty damn well--go figure!)
Anyway, when I reached over the engine, I put my hand on the dashpot of
the front carb--it was HOT!!!!!!!!!  Not hot like a motor gets, but hot
like an exhaust manifold gets.  The back carb was warm, but not like the
front.  I pulled the valve cover to see if maybe an exhaust valve was
stuck closed, thereby forcing hot air back through the intake, but it
did not seem so.  Any ideas?
I plan to pull the back carb and rebuild it tomorrow to see if that
solves the TR3-out-of-6 (cylinders) problem, then will rebuild the
front.  But what could cause the carb to get hot?  After I revved the
engine for a while, it seemed to cool back down (at least to the point
where I could touch it.)
Thanks for any help you may be able to give.
Harris
'59 Bugeye Sprite (mad that it's battery is in the TR)
'72 TR6 (3 out of 6 ain't bad after being dead for 10 years...)