Re: Hot carb?

To: bugeye59@kingsnet.com
Subject: Re: Hot carb?
From: Jeff Nathanson <jeffn@msystech.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Nov 1997 23:11:50 -0700 (MST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Harris,

        Two quick (and one long) checks:

        1) ensure that the screws on the throttle plate spindle are tight.
        That is, the rear throttle plate should rotate when the accelerator
        is depressed.
        2) Take off the inlet gas line to the carb and manualy squeeze the
        fuel pump once. Is gas comming out?
        3) The needle valve may be stuck closed. (1-2 hours)

        Regards,
        Jeff N.

At 08:37 PM 11/9/97 -0800, you wrote:
>Hello all,
>While running my TR6 this afternoon, I discovered the back carb is not
>working at all, therefore starving cylinders 4, 5 and 6 for fuel.  In
>fact, when those three plug wires were disconnected, the car ran the
>same (and pretty damn well--go figure!)
>Anyway, when I reached over the engine, I put my hand on the dashpot of
>the front carb--it was HOT!!!!!!!!!  Not hot like a motor gets, but hot
>like an exhaust manifold gets.  The back carb was warm, but not like the
>front.  I pulled the valve cover to see if maybe an exhaust valve was
>stuck closed, thereby forcing hot air back through the intake, but it
>did not seem so.  Any ideas?
>I plan to pull the back carb and rebuild it tomorrow to see if that
>solves the TR3-out-of-6 (cylinders) problem, then will rebuild the
>front.  But what could cause the carb to get hot?  After I revved the
>engine for a while, it seemed to cool back down (at least to the point
>where I could touch it.)
>Thanks for any help you may be able to give.
>Harris
>'59 Bugeye Sprite (mad that it's battery is in the TR)
>'72 TR6 (3 out of 6 ain't bad after being dead for 10 years...)

Jeff C. Nathanson
Director of Product Development
Manufacturing Systems & Technologies, Inc.