Spitfire Speedo and Oil Pan Questions

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Spitfire Speedo and Oil Pan Questions
From: schuyler grace <schuyler@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 1997 02:10:30 -0800
Hi, all!

I've been trying to find a speedo drive pinion gear -- the final drive
gear that turns the speedo cable at the OD unit -- for a couple of
years, now, to no avail.  So, I'll give this a go the other way
around...

Can anyone on the list describe the gear that "should" be in a Spitfire
J-Type overdrive?  The one that's in mine is an 18-tooth, amber colored,
plastic gear, but I can't seem to find a replacement that little bugger
anywhere.  Alternately, does anyone know of *any* available gear that
will fit my OD and turn the speedo cable?  I'm not too concerned whether
the speedo reading is correct -- I'd settle for just having the little
pointy thing go round and round without me having to twist the cable by
hand (it's already difficult enough to manage to shift, steer, brake,
accelerate, and make "vroom, vroom" noises, without having to worry
about my sleeve getting wrapped up in the prop shaft u-joint).

And now, for something completely different...

About a week ago, Malibu Barbie's Dream Car swallowed the guts of her
fuel pump, and I'm pretty sure the plastic fulcrum that was under the
pump's drive arm has taken up residence in the oil pan (at least, I hope
that's where it ended up).  Can the oil pan be pulled with the engine --
an '80 1493cc -- in place?  I've been poking around, and it looks like a
couple of the bolts are barely accessible, at best.  I seem to remember
someone recently recounting the trials and tribulations of removing
theirs, but I don't recall the outcome.

Thanks!

-Schuyler
--