Re: Replacing the motor on my compressor

To: Chris Prugh <prubrew@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Replacing the motor on my compressor
From: Joe Worsley <worsley@ebicom.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 1997 14:22:16 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Chris Prugh wrote:

> Okay kids,
>
>         I have come to the conclusion that I must replace the motor on my
>compressor.
> The original is a 1 hp, 3 phase, which rotates at 1720 rpm.  After calling
>around this
> morning and getting prices on new  1hp single phase motors, prices vary from
>$175 to $230.
>
>         I called a used motor guy who recommended I check the Harbor Freight
>catalog,
> saying they sell new motors for less than he could get me a refurbished used
>one.  I open
> the catalog and see my options are:
>
>         1800 rpm, 1hp motor for $99 - 5/8" shaft - #56 frame
>         1800 rpm, 1hp, 7/8" shaft, #143T frame for $109
>         3600 rpm, 1hp, 5/8" shaft, #56 frame for $72
>
> I guess my questions would be, can I go with the higher rpm motor?  will this
>be detrimental
> to the system?  or is more NOT better in this application ?  Anyone know the
>dimensions
> of the mounting bolt patterns stated above?
>
> The mounting brackets will have to be redrilled to convert from metric to
>standard, as will the
> pulley.  I suppose I could get a similar pulley to mount on the 5/8" shaft
>locally, but I wonder
> about how close the ratio must compare to original.
>
> Thanks in advance for all your help and advice
>
> Soon to be blowin' it out my hose as well as my _____
>
> Chris Prugh
> 72 Spitfar
> Morgan Hill, CA

Chris,

You need to stay with the slower speed motor.  A higher speed motor would
require more Hp and might also require more starting torque.  Be sure to
keep the pulley about the same size and be sure to specify that you need
a high starting torque (capacitor on the motor) motor for compressor use.
 Again if it is one of the compression release types like used in
commercial use you might not need a lot of starting torque.

Joe Worsley