Re: Humps

To: christopher.childs@virgin.net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Humps
From: GuyotLeonF@aol.com
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 1997 19:40:05 -0500 (EST)
In a message dated 11/11/97  03:22:32, you write:

<<
 Reading Leon Guyot's submission about mini roundabouts, (No 878) recalls
 the far more dangerous and /or uncomfortable(too narrow and / or low
 slung cars like my Spitfire Mk II) humps (which you possibly know as
 sleeping policemen in the States).

>>>But possibly not? What (polite) term do our American listers have for
these >>>'traffic calming' measures?

 These have been introduced in several London boroughs over the last few
years,  migrating from my borough, to Leon's, ( yes I know where he lives)

>>>Then why don't you visit me,Chris?

fairly recently. The difference is that ours are a raised piece of tarmac
covering the width of the road and therefore a car's width makes no
difference.  Whereas
 where Leon lives they are made out of rubber and are only 2ft wide,

>>>Actually,Chris,they are NOT made out of rubber around here,they are also
>>>fashioned from tarmac,and I think you will find they are about 3 feet
wide,(in fact I >>>can confirm them to be almost exactly 12 inches wider than
a Herald/Spitfire >>>track,making the best way to drive over them,to get them
as close to the middle >>>as possible,which isn't always possible if there is
traffic coming the other way!

>>>I would also point out that they are bad for our trunnions etc,and very
bad for our >>>expensive wire wheels.
>>>And,furthermore,the drivers of company cars/vans/trucks etc make no
attempt to >>>slow down for them at all...

 with 3 or 4 covering the width of the road.  This means that only a narrow
or
 low slung car need slow down for them.  A Rolls or Jag would not notice
 them.  Perhaps it is a dirty exclusionist right wing plot to keep the
 riff raff (ie those who drive such cars) out of W..............

>>>So what's wrong with that?

 The rich and famous can speed  in all comfort,

>>>Excuse me,I may not be rich,but...

whilst the plebs of this world must take care not to go above 10mph in that
borough.

>>>So,slow down then!!!

However, I have a cunning plan, I shall get my (t)rusty 2CV back and then we
shall see who can negotiate bumps!

>>>Rather You than me!
>>>And you'll have to pay road tax on that thing!

Incidently, Leon is an expert at loosing his exhaust pipe and has
written pages on the subject.

>>>True,about 10 years back,but that was only because the SAH,later Triumph
Tune >>>aka Moss,systems featured a rather too short centre pipe designed for
the >>>Spitfire,which is rather shorter than the Herald.
>>>After I had the pipe lengthend by about 4 inches,the problem ceased.
>>>And of course,the lowered/decambered suspension didn't help to keep the
long->>>slung,(below chassis),system away from mother earth and our
increasingly >>>deplorable road surfaces!
>>>However,that problem has long since ceased to be a problem.
>>>And the vastly improved handling more than made up for a few errant
exhausts!

>>>ps.Chris,a word of thanks for my e-mailed advice on how you might go about
>>>fitting your Spitfires' new windscreen would't go amiss?

>>>pps.I might add at this juncture,that the above mentioned Chris also has a
1986
>>>Jaguar XJ6-4.2 (I think),AND a company car!!! So why he is moaning about
road >>>humps & poor 'plebs' ,I find it hard to imagine?

>>>My cars are both Triumphs,and both over 30 years old,and both only five
feet >>>wide,so perhaps I have a little more concern regarding all those
horrible lumps on >>>the roads around here.