Basic Positive Ground Question

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Basic Positive Ground Question
From: Jerry McDonald <blknwht@nwrain.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 1997 16:49:59 -0800
I'm taking a class on electrical troubleshooting for work. The instructor
asks which direction does electricity flow pos to neg or neg to pos? In my
ignorance I pipe up with "both". I say I believe both due to the fact my
TR4 has positive ground and other cars have negative ground. Therefore
electricity must flow in either direction. My instructor is taken off guard
by this, and throws out a "top of his head" explanation. If I understood
correctly he surmised that in fact the current flowed backwards and
essentially the whole car was "live". I'm not buying it. What is the real
nature of a positive ground system?