Re: TR6 A-type O/D - accumulator removal?

To: Nick <Nickbk@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: TR6 A-type O/D - accumulator removal?
From: Peter J Barrance <pjb@eagle.gsh.jhu.edu>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 12:54:04 -0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Tue, 11 Nov 1997, Nick wrote:

> ----------
> > From: Peter J Barrance <pjb@eagle.gsh.jhu.edu>
> > To: triumphs@autox.team.net
> > Subject: TR6 A-type O/D - accumulator removal?
> > Date: Monday, November 10, 1997 10:09 AM
> >
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > Some of you may recall from last week that I am working on an A-type OD
> box to
> > drop in my 71 TR6. I've taken the thing apart pretty far, but I'm stuck
> on how
> > to take the accumulator out of the front housing. It looks like the
> factory
> > tool might engage on something in the bore which would be used to pull
> the
> > thing out with. However, when I look in there, all I can see is plane
> > cylindrical surfaces. So maybe, it's some kind of expander which grips
> the side
> > using friction.
> >
> > If anyone has experience, I would love to hear from them.
> >
> > Thanks in advance, as always!

Nick,
Many thanks for the detailed reply.

>From what I can ascertain, the A-types as fitted on the TR6-s are of the
later style you describe (none of my references indicate a difference in
the accumulator within the TR6 ones, although there are 2 'types'
(different S/N prefixes) which have minor differences - e.g. different
filter.)  There's nothing that has a 5/16 bolt hole in it anyway (I
should be so lucky...)

The second type you describe sounds similar all though I'm a wee bit
confused about some details. I think the least confusing thing is for me
to explain what I have and try to compare.

I have:

A. - the 'accumulator housing' - basically is the cylinder for the
piston. Part A has one sealing O-ring and is installed by drifting it
into the front half of the OD, and extracted by a special tool (according
to Bentley).

B. - the piston itself which travels within part A. It has 6 (almost
certain) metal piston rings.

C. a long tube which goes around the spring and fits into a circular
machined hole of larger internal diameter than the bore for part B. Part C
also fits against the side cover.

So, to make sure we're on the same page - I want to take out part A - of
course not having the special tool.

Now -

When you say " On the later
> type, "wiggle" that extension (part that holds the mondo spring) out"

are you talking about C or A? C came out very easily - it just rests in
its hole really. I think you mean A. Wiggling the extension (part
A) out is where my difficulty lies. The only thing I have tried so far is
putting a short piece of hose in the bore, then using snap ring
(circlip) pliers to push outward against it to grip it, using my big
locking pliers to hold the snap ring pliers together and trying to ease
it out. I felt like I could get a little force on it but eventually the
hose started to slip.

I see what you mean though - I'm working against the vacuum with it
sealed up. Taking out the operating pistons might help a lot. Thanks!

Is it just the O-ring sticking force I should be trying to overcome then?
- i.e. there's no metal/metal pressfit between part A and the case?

Thanks again!

Pete