Re: TR6 road mods

To: Peter.Wilson@vsl.com.au
Subject: Re: TR6 road mods
From: Gerhard.Wiederholl@t-online.de (Gerhard Wiederholl)
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 10:13:46 +0100
Cc: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Hello ,

and thank you very much to Peter Wilson, Roger and Jochen Saal for their answers
on my TR 6 motor question.

I´m planning to use your experiences and will make a step by step engine job.
This is first to keep the costs reasonable and second because it is better
to see what part or worke influences power and handling/powerband how strong.
The steps are:

Checking/replacing con-rod and crankshaft bearings, pistons and bore, milling
cylinderhead to 9.5:1

belt driven radiator fan goes, electric fan comes. A belt fan will take some 6%
from the possible top-power and increase fuel consumption. Is seems to be the
easiest tuning to all cars with belt driven fan.

Discarding vacuum advance/retard on distributer

Extractor manifold and later 2-way exhaust system

S-2 camshaft

SU-carbs because those are easyer to set-up to an indvidual car as there are
many types of jets and needles availble and some  motor-mags write they will
increase power and make more mpg.

Am I going to make any big mistakes?

I would like to hear from Peter about powerband and fuelconsumption after
putting the webers on his car.

It will take some time untill I can tell how it all works as I can only worke
on
my TR 6 outside of my small garage. Bad weather here seems to last until spring
(like it is every year) an I can resist lying under my car.

By the way there is a very expensive Bosch fuel injection kit offered  here in
Germany. It is for TR 5, 6, and 250 and they say power will be 143 bhp and
fuelconsumption will be 10 l / 100 km (TR 3 level). They also offer a
cathalytic
converter to be used with the injection system.

Thank you again for all replys

Gerhard Wiederholl

Schwäbisch Hall, South Germany

TR 6
TR 7 RV (excuse me, this is a motorcycle)

have a look at the homepage of my local triumph club:
http://home.t-online.de/home/Triumph-IG-Suedwest-eV@t-online.de/