Re: Refinishing TR6 Dashboard

To: curry@wolfenet.com, roblaing@unixg.ubc.ca
Subject: Re: Refinishing TR6 Dashboard
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 1997 19:59:52 -0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
In a message dated 97-11-15 04:08:42 EST, curry@wolfenet.com writes:

> If the wood looks good underneath the finish, you might get away with
>  removing the finish with any number of chemical removers available from
>  woodworking stores.  Ask a clerk in one of those stores to see what he
>  recommends for that.  There are plenty pieces of antique furniture that
>  have very thin veneers.  So surely there are finish removers that will
>  allow the exposure of the wood without damage.  (I have seen them do it
>  on TV, so it must be true)
>
>  Good Luck,
>  Joe Curry    '63 Spit

Robert,
I agree with Joe.  That is what I did with my TR4 dash.  Stripped it using
chemical stripper (for fine furniture) from Sears.  Then reoiled the back of
the wood, it was dry, and refinished the front using DAP polyurethane.  It's
been over five years and no problems.  It also looks exactly like it did when
I bought the car in '64.  If you need more info on exactly how I did it, give
me a shout.

Art Kelly '64 TR4 CT 33118L (original owner)