Voltmeter wiring

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Voltmeter wiring
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 17:29:01
Listers. . .
I am about to replace the full set of Mallory gauges on my modified
Spitfire with a set of gauges from a later TR6.  The ammeter will be
replaced with a voltmeter.  Can someone tell me what the connections are.
There are NO markings on the gauge itself and when I connected it to the
battery, one lead to the pos. the other to the neg, for a short test it
didn't seem to make any difference which terminals I connected them to, the
gauge read voltage (@13v) and took about 10-15 seconds (too heavly
dampened??) to get a reading either way???  Now I've been around
electronics and electronic circuits for a LONG time, built my own 60Wtube
guitar amp among other things, and know a little more than the average
person about this subject, but this ones got me stumped!!!  Every Volt
meter I've ever hooked up to a battery needed to be connected correctly or
you would get a "reverse" reading.  Anyway, the latest wiring dia I have is
for a 73 TR6 and it uses an ammeter.  Does this voltmeter, as I assume,
connect directly across the battery, via the ignition switch, or is it in
line with the 'voltage stabilizer as used with the other gauges??

Barry Schwartz (San DIego)
bschwart@pacbell.net

72 V6/5sp Spitfire
70 Spitfire project