Re: Voltmeter wiring

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Voltmeter wiring
From: tomomalley@hey.net (Tom O'Malley)
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 1997 23:56:11 GMT
Dan the man writes:

>Up to this point, Tom O'Malley and I are in perfect agreement. We differ a
>little, though, on how well they compensate for temperature. His experience
>has been that they compensate extremely well, and my experience has been that
>they don't compensate so well. Why the difference, I can't explain,

snip!

Well the difference should be obvious!  My car is a Spitfire and yours
is a TR6.  Everybody knows that the '70s Spifires were crafted to
Mercedes-like standards. :-)

>What other factors? Let's say you go out to your car and start it up. Your
>gas tank is almost empty, and the water in the engine is cold. Both the fuel
>and the temperature gauges are reading very near the bottom of the scale.
>Assume that your alternator is working just fine, and producing exactly 14.6
>volts. Now you drive your car 15 miles to the nearest gas station and fill
>up. The fuel gauge now reads full, and the temperature gauge is in the middle
>of its range. With the alternator still producing 14.6 volts, the current
>through the gauges has doubled or more, because of the change in engine
>temperature and fuel level. Because of the additional current through the
>stabilizer, the contacts will stay closed for a shorter period of time than
>before, reducing the voltage to the gauges, causing them to read lower than
>they should. The stabilizer has actually introduced an error! In this case,
>will the effects of ambient temperature changes be compensated for? If so,
>will they be compensated for when the gauges read low? What is the
>temperature of the stabilizer strip compared to the strips in the gauges? Do
>they both change the same amount with respect to changes in temperature? I
>don't know!

Well, if YOU don't know, *I* certainly don't! :-)

Actually Dan...I can't see any way that the stabiliser could be load
compensated.  Particularly with only one stabiliser feeding two
gauges.  I suspect that's why folks started looking at solid state
regulators in the first place.  Regarding your comment above, I would
guess that the gauges are designed to run non-linear.  Probably
another good reason to keep 'em far away from true voltage regulators.

Cheers!

Tom O'Malley
'74, '77 Spit <precision!>