idle problem - TR6

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: idle problem - TR6
From: "Ron Offley...NMSU-A Chemistry" <offley@nmsua.nmsu.edu>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 14:22:22 MDT
Hi,  I'm new to the net,  but have lots of fixing time on TR3s and
TR6s

Have an idle problem on a 71 TR6     Stromberg carbs,  vacuum retard
distributor.  With the engine warmed up,  the idle is at 2000 with
the idle screws full off....

I've checked the obvious things....vacuum leaks....float valves
stuck.... mixture needles sticking.....timing way off.....

The problem was intermittant for about 6 months,  now it is a
perminant  idle problem.....and I don't get much engine braking
coming down the mountain in the mornings.

Just want an easy fix,    obviously if I overhauled, dismantled,
cleaned, scrubbed, and worried those carbs....maybe it would be
better.....but.....

Ron Offley
Chemistry, NMSU-Alamogordo
Alamogordo NM 88325