Re: TR6 purchase

To: Tim Greenlee <greenlee@hiwaay.net>
Subject: Re: TR6 purchase
From: Sholtes IV <joeiv@concentric.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 21:48:22 -0500
Cc: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Tim Greenlee wrote:

> I just purchased a 69 TR6 that has been in storage for 4 years.
> The car is from west Texas so there is no rust.
> The car has new tires, new carpet, new brakes and a new top.
>The problems are in the engine,  when first started the oil pressure
>is only 7-10 lbs and goes to 0 when accelerated.  The oil was dilluted
>with gas when I bought it,

  May this  have been caused by a faulty fuel pump?

>I changed the oil but the oil pressure
>stayed the same.  The PO claims that the oil pressure was ok when he
>parked the car 4 years ago.  I have owned TR6s in the past but have
> never had to work on the engines, I have been living in the TR8 world
>for the past 4 years.  Any suggestions, or am I ready for an engine
>rebuild.  For what I paid for the car I expect that a rebuild in in my
> future.

Tim,

  First check the accuracy of the guage you're judging by.  IT may be the
problem.
If that checks out (verify it by getting a replacement-even a used TR 6 OP
guage),
You might consider the following...
  Try a poor man's rebuild.  This consist's of changing main & rod bearings,
thrust bearings, and oil pump.  It will not help compression or oil consumption
problems, but it usually brings up oil pressure- if the crank is in decent
shape.  Besides, it can usually be done on one Saturday, and costs only $200 or
so.  (I'm not sure of current prices, though.)  Good Luck.

                                  JOE IV
                                  TR 250
                             WALLINGFORD, CT. USA

P.S. Try limiting your letter line length too.....;^)